cnet wrote a good article about the current state of the WannaCry ransomware. I am pointing people to this article for recommendations and information.
The bottom line is this:
- Make sure you have the latest system updates. All of them. Do it now!
- Make sure your system is backed up.
- Make sure your data is safe, by making sure your backup drive is not connected to your system.
- Realize that if you get hacked, your data is gone.
- Do everyone a favor and remove the infected machine from any wireless or wired network immediately.
- Don’t pay the ransom, there is no guarantee that they will set your machine free after paying.
- Scrub your machine.
- Rebuild it.
- Go on with your life.
Ransomware sucks, and the best way you can avoid being stressed out is to make sure you have your data safe. You can do that by making sure your system is running the latest and greatest operating system.
If people were running the latest version of their OS this would not have become the epidemic it has become.
If you are running Windows XP or Windows 7, you should upgrade to Windows 10. I am a Mac guy at heart but I am currently working on a Windows 10 machine running Creators Edition and I’ll tell you that it is a great experience. XP & 7 just aren’t safe to use any longer.
I know for some it is a financial situation, and you can’t update. I get it. But you need to realize that your older systems are at risk, and that vulnerabilities are being patched in current systems. (Microsoft did create patches for this particular ransomware for older operating systems. Good on you Microsoft!)
Windows 10 is a solid operating system that you will enjoy if you give it a chance. If at all possible. Upgrade your system. Ask yourself about the cost of losing everything on your older system. This may help you allocate funds for a new or updated system.
My heart goes out to all of you that were stung. For the rest of us, it is time to make sure we are secured and safe.